Friday 21 October 2011

Tree Surveying in Trosley woods

Yesterday was able to spend an hour and half looking at trees in Trosley Country Park - I will say Trosley woods in most of my blogs from now on. Anyway, I couldn't find a couple of the trees that I had found on my walks with the dogs to no avail. They definitely move you know! Anyway, there was one that had been pollarded at waist height which I measured and another Hornbeam that had a second growing into the main trunk which looked interesting. Neither of them measured beyond the expected circumference which is disappointing but still interesting trees so I have photographed them as below.
Also there is a pond. It is not a naturally occuring pond. However, it has run dry recently which is apparently unusual. According to the lady telling me the story this is the first time it has been dry in the five years she has known about it. It is apparently known locally as the 'witches' pond; thankfully not as a place where countless wise women and old women and just women because they were women, were drowned in the puritanical, christian, patriarchal, mania that continued right up until the 1700's. I digress. The pond is apparently very good for scrying.

Here is a picture of the remains of an old Oak tree that sits on the edge of the pond. Sadly, there is no water in the pond just lots of logs. However, look at the second picture, it has been taken by me at an angle, do you think that could be a dragon? Or a horse? Maybe its just my eye?


I wonder if the pond drying is an omen? Could it be part of the woods response to the council's continued war against the trees. Every where I walk, they seem to have cut down more trees - as part of tree management - of course! Yesterday there were even men at work signs in the wood - what is going on?

I just love Trosley woods, what a fabulous place.





1 comment:

  1. I love your tree photos! I love trees, too, even the dead ones that make beautiful works of art.

    ReplyDelete